Please Share

Search This Blog

Sunday, March 14, 2010

'Speed decided fight's outcome'


ARLINGTON, TEXAS—Manny Pacquiao’s speed was the single factor that spelled defeat for Joshua Clottey Saturday night (Sunday in Manila) at the Cowboys Stadium here.

“He’s very, very fast,” explained Clottey during the post-fight press conference. “I tried to catch him, but he always manages to move out. He’s the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world.”
Unlike his previous three losses to Carlos Baldomir, Antonio Margarito and Miguel Cotto, which he deemed disputable, Clottey admitted that Pacquiao did beat him.

“I lost a fight for the first time,” said the 32-year-old Clottey. “I’m ready to face all the big names in the (welterweight) division.

“I’m ready to move on. I’ll be back,” said Clottey, who admitted that he had to reduce a lot going into the final week to make the weight.

“But 147 is where the people are.”
Clottey, however, insisted that he never felt Pacquiao’s power and that he only leaned on the ropes sometimes to relax.

“He never hurt me. He’s fast that’s why I’m taking all his punches.”

According to Clottey, he did his best but fell short due to Pacquiao’s ability to slip out when he tried to cut off the Filipino icon.

If given another crack at Pacquiao by Bob Arum, who promotes him and Pacquiao, Clottey said he’d take it.

“Yes, of course. I’m from a faraway place. It’s been a long journey. I will fight anybody.”
For now, however, Pacquiao has got all his respect.

By: Roy Luarca
Photo Credit : Chris Farina - Top Rank

No comments:

Post a Comment